Position Title: Office Manager
Location: Honalo, Hawaiʻi Island
About the Position: HUC is seeking a full-time Office Manager to implement company administrative functions including processing customer orders, coordinating finished product shipments, entering manufacturing production records, making bank deposits, providing customer service, and working with the co-op general manager, operations manager, and bookkeeper to keep administrative records organized and up to date. This position is also responsible for assisting the operations manager with day-to-day operations of the Honalo Marshaling Yard facility in Kailua-Kona, including inventory management, packing and shipping, fruit intake and production, and facility repair and maintenance, as needed. The ideal candidate for this position is detail-oriented, enjoys working with others, and has excellent time management and self direction as well as basic technological proficiency.
Reports to: HUC General Manager (GM) and Operations Manager (OM)
About the Organization: Hawaiʻi ʻUlu Co-op (HUC) is a farmer-owned business working to revitalize ‘ulu or breadfruit as a viable crop and dietary staple by empowering farmers as change-makers in Hawaiʻi’s food system. Formed in 2016 with 9 small, diversified growers on Hawai’i Island, HUC has grown to over 100 member-farms on both Hawai’i Island and Maui and is now the foremost breadfruit farmer organization in Hawai’i. By working together, HUC farmers are able to offer consistent, high-quality ‘ulu products that are delicious, versatile, local, healthy, accessible, and sustainable. The co-op is committed to the revival of ‘ulu to strengthen Hawai‘i’s food security and to the value of mālama ʻāina – care or protection of the earth – by using environmentally responsible production methods. Our vision is a thriving cooperative that sustains and uplifts producers, consumers, and society as a whole.
- Management of digital administrative databases, including:
- keep inventory items up to date and standardized
- enter item receipts for incoming inventory supplies/materials
- enter/track production records in a timely manner
- upload, organize, and store all production and associated food safety records
- help audit physical inventories weekly or monthly, as needed
- maintaining updated farmer records
- Process all customer orders via phone, email and e-commerce platform (Shopify)
- Process and print all fedex, air cargo, and other shipping labels; coordinate transport and logistics with freight companies and distributors, as needed
- Organize invoices and shipping labels by 12:00p day before shipment; pull and prep orders
- Provide customer service and new customer administration support
- Respond to customer inquiries in a timely and courteous manner
- Provide sales support via co-op’s Customer Relationship Management (CRM) software to build and maintain excellent wholesale relations
- Process bank deposits weekly
- Meet regularly with members of the Operations Team to review inventory or production record discrepancies, as needed
- Support OM with day-to-day management of warehouse operations, including by stepping in to help with production, repair and maintenance, facility user coordination, and general warehouse organization, as needed, to ensure efficient and safe production environment
- Outgoing and positive.
- Able to efficiently use computer systems for inventory and data entry, and to troubleshoot technical systems, as needed.
- Detail oriented.
- Excellent time management
- Communication proficiency, including through text, email and other online methods.
- Ability to multitask in a dynamic environment.
- Reliable and punctual.
This position has no direct reports.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member will be asked to work from the Honalo Marshaling Yard facility. Occasionally, the staff member may also be asked to visit member farms and/or represent the co-op at community and educational events.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to talk and hear. The staff member will also be required to sit, stand, walk and talk for extended periods of time. The staff member must be able to lift up to 40 pounds, and may occasionally need to squat or climb.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Work demands of this position are year-round, and are expected to average 30 hours per week. Daily hours of work are 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. M-F.
No travel outside of the workplace is required for this position. Any occasional/voluntary travel in a personal vehicle such as to deliver customer orders or to represent the co-op at community events, will be reimbursed at the appropriate GSA rate.
Required Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- 2+ years of experience in office management, bookkeeping, data entry and/or order processing; food, agriculture or manufacturing sector preferred.
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive (docs, sheets, slides) required.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree.
- Previous success in business/facility management.
- Proficiency in QuickBooks and inventory management systems.
- Previous experience in food safety procedures such as FSMA, GMP or HACCP.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits
Pay is competitive at $20/hr for office managers within the Hawaiʻi agriculture sector based on skills, qualifications and experience, and includes full medical benefits as well as 20% off all co-op products. In addition, through HUC’s partnership with ProService, employees qualify for additional perks including access to great offers from local businesses such as discounted movie tickets or health and fitness deals; a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) that allows for the use of pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket expenses and lower IRS reported income, which saves you money; and Voluntary Insurance options that are portable and can be taken with you should your employment status change.
To Apply: Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hawaiʻi ʻUlu Co-op strives to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture focused on continuous learning and welcomes individuals with work and lived experiences that align with and complement the organization’s mission and vision. The co-op does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law and is an employment-at-will company. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.