The Production Supervisor 2 position is responsible for managing agricultural processing and co-op employees in a food manufacturing environment. This position is responsible for overseeing secondary afternoon/evening and weekend (Friday-Saturday) shifts for minimal product processing. He/she implements policies and procedures, keeps records, manages and directs shift processing employees, and recommends improvements in production methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions. To supplement the high seasonal fluctuations of HUC’s secondary shift schedule, this position may additionally be asked to support other aspects of co-op business operations including through conducting in-store demos, sales visits and staffing community events, as needed.
- Ensure production quality, efficiency, and standardization.
- Implement food safety plan and procedures, and perform any necessary corrective actions.
- Ensure effective employee relations. Provide employee coaching and development. Resolve employee issues through problem resolution.
- Balance quality, productivity, cost, safety and morale to achieve positive results in all areas. Work to continuously improve in all areas.
- Manage agricultural processing performance measures, including visual controls, and provide regular progress reports to HUC manager and Honalo facility operations manager.
- Provide leadership through a seasonal production planning cycle.
- Perform accident investigations as needed.
- Maintain comprehensive processing records for food safety verification and cost of production analysis.
- Communicate inventory needs to HUC manager and facility assistant manager.
- Work effectively with management and staff through clear and timely communication via in person meetings, phone and email correspondence, as needed.
- Maintain flexibility amidst a seasonally fluctuating production schedule and transition to other areas of the co-op business operation, as needed, such as sales, marketing and inventory management.
- Organization and detail orientation.
- Ability to foresee and prevent potential hazards.
- Performance and time management.
- Problem solving/analysis.
- Results driven.
- Communication proficiency, including through text, email and other online methods.
- Time management.
- Technical capacity.
- Learning orientation.
This position oversees processing employees and is responsible for the performance management and training of employees within that department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hot or cold temperatures, and be asked to manage inventory in a walk in freezer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and use hands to handle, carry, peel, cut and package. The employee is occasionally required to sit or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
As ‘ulu is a seasonal crop, work demands of this position may vary throughout the year, with 35-40 hours per week during peak season (July-December) and 20 hours or less per week during off-season months. However, ‘ulu season itself can be variable and shorter flushes may occur in the winter and spring. In addition, part of the essential functions of this position includes shifting to other areas of the business operation during off season months, as needed, including sales, marketing and new product development. As such, additional work hours may be realized by remaining flexible and taking on more diverse responsibilities as opportunities arise. Hours of work are somewhat flexible but typically from 3:30pm to 11pm Tuesday through Thursday and from 6:30am to 4pm Fridays and Saturdays during high season.
No travel is regularly expected for this position other than to and from the Honalo facility. As sales and marketing opportunities arise, this position may have opportunities to visit prospective customers, stores or community events in a personal vehicle and will be compensated for such travel at the current GSA mileage reimbursement rate.
Required Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- 3-5 years of experience in a production environment.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Food safety certification.
- Previous quality management experience.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.