Start Date: July 2021
Position Title: Sales Manager
Location: Oʻahu or Hawaiʻi Island preferred; interisland travel required.
About the Position: HUC is seeking a full-time Sales Manager to lead the co-op’s sales strategy and help grow its revenue base. This person will work closely with the GM to establish sales goals and high-level tactics, and will lead the co-op’s sales and marketing team, which includes both employees and contractors. The Sales Manager will play a critical role in developing and implementing the sales procedures, systems and processes required to support HUC farmers’ growing volume of ʻulu over the next 5-10 years. This person will be expected to build positive customer relationships across market segments (e.g. manufacturing, foodservice, grocery), oversee sales team members, acquire new strategic accounts, track progress, and identify future growth opportunities.
Reports to: HUC General Manager (GM)
About the Organization: Hawaiʻi ʻUlu Co-op (HUC) is a farmer-owned business working to revitalize ‘ulu or breadfruit as a viable crop and dietary staple by empowering farmers as change-makers in Hawaiʻi’s food system. Formed in 2016 with 9 small, diversified growers on Hawai’i Island, HUC has grown to over 100 member-farms on both Hawai’i Island and Maui and is now the foremost breadfruit farmer organization in Hawai’i. By working together, HUC farmers are able to offer consistent, high-quality ‘ulu products that are delicious, versatile, local, healthy, accessible, and sustainable. The co-op is committed to the revival of ‘ulu to strengthen Hawai‘i’s food security and to the value of mālama ʻāina – care or protection of the earth – by using environmentally responsible production methods. Our vision is a thriving cooperative that sustains and uplifts producers, consumers, and society as a whole.
- Work in close collaboration with GM to set monthly, quarterly, and annual sales strategy, tactics, KPIs and OKRs.
- Manage, maintain and improve upon HUC’s customer relationship management (CRM) system.
- Build and maintain excellent relationships with customers.
- Set and follow sales schedule to ensure goals are met and plans are executed expediently.
- Implement sales plan across target customer segments (e.g. household buyer, retailer, manufacturer, foodservice, etc.).
- Track and report on key sales results and metrics; include critical analysis and next step recommendations in reports and meetings.
- Establish agenda for and facilitate monthly, quarterly, and annual sales meetings.
- Work productively with HUC marketing and operations departments to align sales efforts with other co-op priorities.
- Supervise and collaborate with HUC contractors who provide sales-related support services, including but not limited to: graphic design, web development, product photography and videography.
- Work with co-op manager, staff, contractors, interns and consultants to ensure successful implementation of above tactics.
- Strong experience in sales.
- Excellent personal and communication skills, both verbally and in writing.
- Technical capacity with Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
- Performance and time management.
- Orientation to detail and continuous learning.
- Comfortable with public speaking.
- Diplomatic and able to work through conflicts.
This position has one direct report (the co-op digital marketing specialist) and is also the primary point of contact for all sales-related contractors including graphic designers, web developers, PR consultants, product photographers/videographers, and other third-party consultants who may be hired to provide such services from time to time. In addition, the position may be asked to supervise post-secondary interns working in the sales department.
This position may work remotely the majority of the time, but will be expected to work at least one day per quarter in person at HUC’s Kona and/or Hilo facility and to visit customers statewide at least semi-annually. In addition, this person may be asked to visit member-farms, ambassador stores and restaurants, community partner sites, and/or to attend public events, as needed, to collect sales content and to better understand the broader co-op ecosystem.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the staff member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the staff member is regularly required to talk and hear. The staff member will also be required to sit, stand, walk and talk for extended periods of time. The staff member must be able to lift up to 40 pounds, and may occasionally need to squat or climb.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
Work demands of this position are year-round, and are expected to average 40 hours per week, 50 weeks per year, as a salaried employee. Daily hours of work are flexible and can be designed with the GM; typically, five 8-hour days (8am-4pm M-Fri) are preferred.
This position will be asked to travel inter-island at least semi-annually, with all travel costs covered by the co-op. In addition, this person will be asked to visit customers on their island of residence in a personal vehicle to build and maintain relationships. In such events, travel costs will be reimbursed at the current GSA rate for use of a POV.
Required Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree.
- 3-5 years’ sales experience in Hawai'i agriculture, food or beverage sectors.
- Minimum one-year residency in Hawaiʻi (does not need to be contiguous with employment).
- Technical proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Drive (docs, sheets, slides, forms).
Preferred Education and Experience
- MBA or masters-level equivalent degree in business, sales, marketing or other related field.
- Previous success in sales in Hawaiʻi.
- Proficiency with Adobe suite.
- Individuals with work and lived experiences that align and complement the organization’s mission and vision.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits
Pay is competitive for sales managers within the Hawaiʻi agriculture sector based on skills, qualifications and experience, and includes full medical benefits as well as 20% off all co-op products. There is also opportunities for bonus pay in cases of exceptional performance linked to strategic milestones. In addition, through HUC’s partnership with ProService, employees qualify for additional perks including access to great offers from local businesses such as discounted movie tickets or health and fitness deals; a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) that allows for the use of pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket expenses and lower IRS reported income, which saves you money; and Voluntary Insurance options that are portable and can be taken with you should your employment status change.
Send resume to email@example.com. Application Deadline: Friday, June 11, 2021 at 5pm.
Hawaiʻi ʻUlu Co-op strives to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture focused on continuous learning and welcomes individuals with work and lived experiences that align with and complement the organization’s mission and vision. The co-op does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law and is an employment-at-will company. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.