The ʻUlu Manufacturing Assistant is responsible for carrying out HUC Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), following co-op policies, and adhering to the instruction and guidance of Processing Supervisors and Management in a food manufacturing environment. This position is responsible for showing up to work on time for scheduled shifts wearing approved dress code, complying with supervisor direction and feedback, clocking in and out of work shifts, breaks and departments as instructed, and communicating any questions, concerns, suggestions or HR issues as they arise. He/she follows work instructions efficiently, implements policies and procedures as directed, and recommends improvements in production methods, equipment, operating procedures and working conditions as needed.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a part-time position, with an anticipated starting total of 14 hours per month - structured as approximately one 7-hour day every other week from 9 am to 4 pm. Hours may increase as business operations develop. In addition, more work hours may be available supporting other aspects of the cooperative business if desired by the employee and the employee is encouraged to discuss such interests with their supervisor.
- Show up on time to scheduled shifts and work for the entire shift unless previously communicated with and approved by management.
- Follow HUC dress code for processors.
- Implement company SOPs and food safety procedures, as instructed by supervisors.
- Communicate any questions, concerns, problems, suggestions for improvement, and HR issues promptly and clearly with supervisors and/or management.
- Work effectively to balance quality, productivity, cost, safety and morale to achieve positive results in all areas. Work to continuously improve in all areas.
- Keep in mind the dynamic nature of a fast-growing agricultural business and communicate scheduling changes, concerns or questions with management promptly and clearly.
- Work effectively with co-workers, supervisors, and management through clear and timely communication via in person meetings, phone and email correspondence, as needed.
- Organization and detail orientation.
- Ability to follow instruction and communicate questions or concerns.
- Performance and time management.
- Positive attitude and strong team player.
- Communication proficiency, including through text, email and/or other online methods.
- Time management and punctuality.
- Technical capacity.
- Learning orientation.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities at this time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be exposed to hot or cold temperatures, and be asked to handle inventory in a walk-in refrigerator or freezer. Airborne flour particles are present in the facility, and the employee is encouraged to wear a mask when they are working in flour production.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk and use hands to handle, carry, peel, cut and package. The employee is occasionally required to sit or crouch. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
No travel is regularly expected for this position other than to and from the Alae facility in Hilo, Hawaii Island
Required Education and Experience
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Previous experience in agriculture, commercial kitchen, or a food manufacturing production environment preferred.
Preferred Education and Experience
- Food safety certification.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
None required for this position.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Compensation & Benefits
Pay is competitive for entry level food manufacturing assistance within the Hawaiʻi agriculture sector based on skills, qualifications and experience, and includes 20% off all co-op products. In addition, through HUC’s partnership with ProService, employees qualify for additional perks including access to great offers from local businesses such as discounted movie tickets or health and fitness deals; a Flexible Spending Account (FSA) that allows for the use of pre-tax dollars to pay for eligible out-of-pocket expenses and lower IRS reported income, which saves you money; and Voluntary Insurance options that are portable and can be taken with you should your employment status change.
To Apply: Send resume to email@example.com.
Hawaiʻi ʻUlu Co-op strives to foster a diverse, equitable, and inclusive culture focused on continuous learning and welcomes individuals with work and lived experiences that align with and complement the organization’s mission and vision. The co-op does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, size, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law and is an employment-at-will company. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.