Our baker's ripe ‘ulu and local lemons make a tangy, ‘ono vegan dessert!
Recipe adapted from Heart of a Baker’s Vegan Lemon Bars at heartofabaker.com
For the crust:
1/2 cup ‘ulu flour*
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup coconut oil (melted)
1/2 cup powdered sugar
For the filling:
100 grams (scant 1/2 cup) baker’s ripe ‘ulu, puréed
Zest and juice of 3-4 lemons (2/3 c lemon juice)
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons ‘ulu flour*
Powdered sugar (for dusting when serving, optional)
*Substitute all-purpose flour if you don’t have ‘ulu flour
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease an 8×8 pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flours, coconut oil, salt, and powdered sugar until the dough comes together. Press into the bottom of the greased pan and bake for 7–9 minutes, until the edges are golden brown. You don’t want to over-bake the crust, or it will become too hard after you add the filling. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl with a handheld mixer, beat together the ‘ulu, lemon juice and zest, sugar, vanilla extract, cornstarch, and ‘ulu flour until fairly smooth and combined.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes, until filling is set. It will look dull vs shiny, and not wiggle. Allow to cool and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, until chilled.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving.