Gluten-Free Soft Pretzel Bites
12, 3-4 inch wide soft pretzels
Need an easy gluten-free pretzel recipe for homemade soft pretzels? Try this scrumptious recipe by KS students using our ʻUlu Flour All-Purpose Baking Mix.
1 ½ cups warm water
- 2 ¼ tsp instant dry yeast
1 tsp table salt
¾ Tbsp honey
1 Tbsp unsalted butter (melted and slightly cooled)
3 ¾ -4 cups All-Purpose ʻUlu Flour Baking Mix
- Coarse paʻa kai (salt)
½ cup baking soda
- 9 cups water
1 whole egg
- 1 tsp water
Baking Soda Bath:
Egg Wash (optional):
Preheat the oven to 400℉. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and grease with a bit of butter.
- In a medium bowl for the stand mixer, whisk the yeast into warm water. Allow the mixture to sit for 1 minute. Whisk in salt, honey, and melted butter.
- Slowly add 3 cups of all-purpose ʻulu flour, 1 cup at a time. Mix with a dough hook until the dough has thickened. Add ¾ cup or a bit more until the dough is no longer sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for 1 minute. Shape into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Make a bath for the pretzels by adding baking soda and water in a large pot and bringing to a boil.
- Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 12 even sections (like a pizza), each should be about ⅓ of a cup size.
- Roll dough sections on a floured counter top into 12-inch ropes. (Dough may be fragile and crack but repairs well) Form a circle with most of the dough, leaving a few inches of overlap, twist at the overlap, fold over and press into a pretzel shape about four inches across.
- Once water and baking soda has reached a boil, drop 1-2 pretzels into the boiling water for 20-30 seconds, no longer. Lift pretzel out of water with a slotted spoon and drip off as much excess water as possible. Place the pretzels onto the prepared baking sheet. *If desired, you may pause at this point and refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- (optional) If using an egg wash, mix egg and water, lightly brush on the tops of the pretzels. Sprinkle with paʻa kai and repeat for all pretzels.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown, rotating halfway through.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
For a sweeter style pretzel, in place of salt, sprinkle with a cinnamon-sugar mixture prior to baking.