Join the Hawai‘i ‘Ulu Cooperative
Why should I join?
Members of the Hawai‘i ‘Ulu Cooperative receive these benefits:
- Premium price and guaranteed market for their fruit
- Technical assistance and ongoing training in sustainable production practices
- Customized guidance and support from leading researchers and agronomists in the field
- Marketing, sales, education, outreach, and administration is all taken care of
- Being part of a community of like-minded producers with shared values
- Participating in the governance of a new, exciting, local farmer-owned and -operated venture
- Helping to increase Hawai‘i’s food security and sustainability
- Collaboration with other community groups to move Hawai‘i’s food system in the right direction
- Sharing in the earnings of the business
- Single taxation advantage
Why a cooperative structure?
We determined a co-op structure was the right business model for us because of our primary goal to develop a sustainable breadfruit industry in Hawai‘i that supports farmers and the community. To achieve this vision, we need a large number of small, diversified ‘ulu producers working together to meet Hawai‘i’s demand for nutritious food (rather than a small number of large plantations). By coming together in a co-op, local producers are able to develop economies of scale, ensure year-round production, attain bargaining power, and leverage each other’s social, economic, political, and other resources to bring the project to fruition and benefit more of Hawai‘i’s communities.
How do I join?
Hawai‘i ‘Ulu Producers Cooperative
PO Box 1203
Captain Cook, HI 96704
*Please make checks payable to Hawai‘i ‘Ulu Producers Cooperative. Payment includes $100 one-time purchase of common stock entitling you to one vote (fully refundable upon membership termination), and $25 first-year annual membership dues.